Sunday, 12 May 2013

MAC RiRi Woo Lipstick - Review, Photos & Swatches


"Limited-edition shade of RiRi Woo, a vivid cool red with matte finish created by Rihanna." - MAC

The release of RiRi Woo Lipstick was one intense release if I say so myself! I would have ignored it if it wasn't for the hype surrounding it! The anticipation of it's shade, texture, packaging and of course being a Rihanna creative release had everyone wondering and so my curiosity got the better of me! I'd rather have one than lose out! 

There was some sort of queue system where you had to select it and wait without refreshing, pressing the back browser button or closing your window and just wait......wait.....wait....until you got a successful page refresh telling you RiRi Woo Lipstick was added your basket! My God it was an intense wait I had my iPhone trying to bag one and my laptop too!

Within a couple of hours it was sold out, being a online exclusive launch I suddenly had to have one! If I'm totally honest the story behind it being a revived up Ruby Woo Lipstick had my ears standing because Ruby Woo is my all time favorite lipstick. I wasn't actually to bothered about it being a Rihanna collaboration.

RiRi Woo is described as a 'Matte Cool Red' with a 'Retro Matte Finish'. 





This is a absolute beauty to look at! I loved how it photographs under flash it makes it looks so glossy and shiny. The lipstick itself is engraved with Rihanna's signature 'RiRi'. It's very pretty and I found it really sad that eventually with use it's going to disappear! 

Unfortunately the packaging is your basic MAC black package. Nothing about it screams limited edition and even the tube itself is your standard black MAC tube. I thought this was quite a let down, as although the lipstick itself is engraved with a signature once it's used it's all gone - there will be nothing special about it! 



The colour of RiRi Woo is a cool blue red with a deeper tone - I'd say a blood red with a lot of blue in it. The finish is suggested as very matte. I personally found it to be a standard matte lipstick. Ruby Woo Lipstick is without a doubt the most mentioned dupe for RiRi Woo and I completely agree. The finish for both of these to me are exactly the same; matte lipsticks, the colour payoff is extremely pigmented in one swipe and in terms of colour comparison they are literally a dupe for each other! 

RiRi Woo Lipstick is ever so slightly deeper in colour and Ruby Woo Lipstick is a tone lighter, when swatched on my hand the difference apparent is a miniscule amount; it's very difficult to see them as two different lipsticks. On the lips I feel it's the same again if someone points out the difference then it is noticeable.

(Above: RiRi Woo Lipstick - Left: Without Flash, Right: With Flash)
 (Swatches: Left: RiRi Woo, Right: Ruby Woo)
(Left Image: Without Flash, Right Image: With Flash)

RiRi Woo Lipstick is a pleasure to own, although close to Ruby Woo I personally love it because it is slightly deeper on my lips. And although there are so many reviews out there suggesting it's just because of Rihanna's name on it that it sold out so fast and that MAC did it again and fooled/sucked us in! Yes maybe but personally I think it really brings to light the beauty of Ruby Woo instead. I think Ruby Woo is a hidden gem amongst MAC lipsticks!

If i'm completely honest I feel that it doesn't matter what red lipstick I put on my lips the Boy isn't going to notice any difference, to him and every other guy out there it's a red lipstick! Maybe he'll notice it's not glossy but matte but that's about it! Only us girlies would take notice if it's a orange red, blue red, maroon red, pink red! So as long as I know what's on my lips it makes me feel good! It makes me happy one day to wear Ruby Woo and another day to wear RiRi Woo and feel like a vixen or perhaps a part of Rihanna!

I do justify owning both and I wouldn't be able to choose one over the other if you put me on the spot! However if you were not lucky enough to get RiRi Woo I wouldn't feel at loss, you without a doubt can get away with Ruby Woo and yes I have two of a kind now but that's my choice. In my opinion the two are like semi-identical twins!

(Top Lip: RiRi Woo, Bottom Lip: Ruby Woo)

If you really want RiRi Woo it's going to be re-released next month with the rest of Rihanna for MAC's Collaboration with limited edition packaging!

Dyno x

3 comments:

  1. It's funny because the Japanese MAC site still has the lipstick on there -- I don't think there was such a rush for it like there would have been in English speaking countries!

    I've been wanting the Ruby Woo lipstick for ageeees, might wait until the Riri Woo one releases and get that ;D

    Great review!

    Blindly Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks quite identical! Great swatches and review.

    ReplyDelete