Sunday, 21 April 2013

Weekly Face Fix - My at home Facial


Hello ladies! Today I have for you a weekly facial routine which I like to use on myself. I'm a skin care addict and more so I need some me and relax time!

Grab a cake and cup of tea!

I use these products on a weekly basis (Every Sunday) as this is my down time.
  • Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel
  • Steam, Extraction
  • Clarins Pure and Radiant Mask with Pink Clay
  • Clarins Hydraquench Cream-Mask
  • Clarins Skin Smoothing Eye-Mask
  • Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner
  • Clarins Eye Contour Gel
  • Clarins Vital Light Serum
  • Creme De La Mer Lip Balm
  • Night Moisturiser
Above is the order I use the products in; the only thing that changes is that I might occasionally change the brand or type of cleanser, mask, eye cream, serum and lip balm I use - it all comes down to what my skin's needs are. 


Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel
This is a sulfate free purifying gentle makeup remover and cleanser which deeply cleanses the skin while preserving it's natural moisture. I like that it gives a squeaky clean feeling yet is comfortable. It contains botanical amino acids, hydrangea leaf, green tea, and geranium which offer natural complexion-protecting and perfecting benefits. I also really love that it's free from synthetic fragrance and parabens.

 I actually got a whopping 150ml free with my Clarisonic Limited Edition Holidays Gift Set about a year ago and have started using this cleanser over the last month and really love it. The reason I use a completely different cleanser for my facials as oppose to my daily cleanser is to basically give my skin a little shock with the change. I feel it's a more effective way of awakening the skin and actually visibly seeing a difference in the appearance of it. 

Boscia is a great cleanser because it's so gentle on my skin, I find for when I'm doing facials it's a great product to incorporate because I'll be using so many other products in my facial routine that i'd like it to do a basic job of cleansing and preparing my skin for treatment, rather than being a hard core surface scraping cleanser which would be my obvious choice for other days in the week when makeup, dirt and grime is involved. 


Steam and Extraction
Now there are two ways to steam: get a facial steamer or get a bowl with boiling hot water and let your face absorb the vapor. This helps to open your pores which makes extraction easier. I have a facial steamer which I got from a beauty supply store from when I was a teenager and it works brilliant!

I have a extraction tool at home which I also use, however if you don't feel confident using one of these then use an abrasive exfoliator - I recommend: MAC Volcanic Ash Exfoliator, Clarins Gentle Refiner Exfoliating Cream with Microbeads.


Clarins Pure and Radiant Mask with Pink Clay
I've heard a clay based mask is great option to use during facials because it lifts and removes dirt and impurities from the skin. And I have to agree - this Clarin's mask is my go to choice because it not only smells divine but it's such a lovely mask and you really see the radiance in your skin when you remove it.

Clarin's describe it as "A deep-purifying mask—with refreshing Pink Clay and Alpine Willow Herb—cleans, tightens and refines pores, leaving a fresh matte result in just 5 minutes. Softens, smoothes and comforts irritated skin with Linden extract. Non-drying texture rinses easily and is suitable for even the most sensitive skin."

It contains Tanaka powder and pink clay which absorb impurities and excess oil and removes dead skin cells which is the whole point of a facial! This mask is for combination/oily skin and I highly recommend it for summer months if you tend to get a little more oily. It tightens the appearance of skin whilst being comforting and the palm and coconut oils in it are a nice relaxing fragrance to take in!


Clarins Hydraquench Cream-Mask
Clarin's describes this mask as "An oasis of comfort for dehydrated skin. This soothing formula restores an ideal moisture balance to dry, dehydrated skin in just 5-10 minutes. Katafray Bark extract attracts moisture to the skin—then seals it in to smooth fine lines and restore a soft, supple texture. Sorbier Tree Bud stimulates micro-circulation, boosting cellular renewal for a healthy-looking glow."

This stuff is the shizzle! Now your probably thinking - she uses two masks in one day? HYFR (Drake I love you!) This my friend is a totally different product of a mask. While most masks are there to remove, extract, lift and get rid of dead skin and impurities, this hydra quench mask gives the skin a drink of hydration. Like majority of the masks out there you rinse them off but this one you apply a fine layer all over your face and neck and you allow the skin to absorb all of it, which it does! If any excess remains you simply use your everyday toner and wipe it off but you don't rinse it all.

My skin feels so baby soft and smooth. If your skin ever feels tight then your not hydrated enough and are not drinking enough water. Dry skin types and oily skin types can both feel tight and so that means they can be dehydrated. Dehydration is a condition the skin goes through but not a skin type. I like to use this mask to add extra hydration to my skin and I find that when the weather changes sometimes my skin needs that extra help. For example heating/air conditioning dehydrates your skin - so I like to use this mask as a boost.

You will notice in situations like these that when you apply the mask it is absorbed extremely quickly so your skin needed the hydration. Sometimes it may not absorb the layer fully but there is no harm in using it as a treat like I do!


Clarins Skin Smoothing Eye Mask
This eye mask is a sample I got and I absolutely love it! It gives my eye area and lids that feeling like I put cucumbers on! The only difference is I can move around with it on! Something which I wouldn't be able to do with cucumbers ! It's so refreshing and an instant pick me up for the eyes!

On a daily basis I do use eye creams and gels, but a mask is a lovely way to care and replenish the skin around the eyes which is not only extremely delicate but which takes a lot of crap from the world! Computers, late nights and makeup.

Clarin's says that "This is the treatment to reach for. Clarins intensive, 5-minute spa mask energises tired eyes-minimising signs of fatigue and stress. A refreshing blend of Wild Rose, Apricot and Rose Water helps decongest, smooth and tone eye contours for an immediate feeling of well-being."

It's a lovely treatment which is my favorite part of a facial! You apply it and let it absorb and then remove whatever is left with a eye makeup remover or baby wipe.


Clarins Gentle Exfoliator Brightening Toner
"A fresh, fluid exfoliating lotion that brightens, smooths and softens skin. Regular exfoliation helps to strenghten the skin's resistance to wrinkles and maintain the balance between preventing a build-up of dead cells and encouraging cell renewal."

Instead of using my regular daily toner I use this one instead because it not only again gives my skin a change but has the exfoliating extract while maintaining a bright, smooth and soft complexion. Because I use an exfoliator two or three times a week in my daily skin care routine I avoid using one when doing my weekly facials. Instead I will incorporate extraction with steam and this exfoliating toner.

Because this is a gentle exfoliator lotion it tops up my other exfoliators use. It's great for skin cell renewal and I always notice brighter and smoother skin after use, it also helps if you have clogged pores and it doesn't require rinsing either. 


Clarins Eye Contour Gel
This is for puffiness and dark circles and I like using it after the eye mask because the two work well together. While I don't have dark circles occasionally I'll get a little puffy eyes and this gel works great at calming the eye area down and providing a cooling and refreshing effect.

"Clarins’ cooling, non-oily gel minimises the look of puffiness and dark circles—refreshing, hydrating and resting the delicate skin around eyes. Wild Rose drains toxins tackle puffiness and dark circles. Concentrated Rose Water relaxes, softens and soothes. Palmetto refreshes, decongests and tones eyelids. Preps skin for perfect eye make-up application and lasting wear. Gentle enough for even the most sensitive eyes."

I tend to use this at nights alot if my eyes feel tired and it works brilliantly. In the summer months I'll use it during the day because the cooling affect is so nice! But for my weekly facials because I tend to them before going to sleep this is my night eye treatment.


Clarins Vital Light Serum
As I mentioned before I tend to switch up the serums I use and I have quite a few samples of this Vital Light Serum and am giving it a go. I'm still in the testing phase so won't give too much thought on it yet (review once I'm ready) But so far I do like it. 

In general I tend to go for radiance and repair serums when doing facials and as every day night treatments because that's when your skin is repairing/recovering itself. During the day I stick to a hydrating and sometimes radiance serums. 

You can use any serum you prefer I mix them up! The Vital Light Serum I'm testing at the moment can be used day or night and is a dark spot correcting and age repairing one. I'm 25 but I'm really interested in anti-aging skin care at the moment as I believe taking care and maintaining my skin now will ensure I have healthy skin later on in life! 


Creme De La Mer Lip Balm
This is my most favorite lip balm ever! It's heavy but it works miracles! You can read my review on it here, but during facials I like to slap it on my lips and let it keep them well maintained! Because it's a balm it's thick and not something I use when I'm wearing lipstick, lipgloss maybe but very rarely - it's more like my night time lip recovery treat!


Lastly before I get into bed I will just apply my night cream, I do apply this about an hour or so after the serum just so that the serum is completely absorbed. This is my favorite routine of the week because I get to relax and take care of my skin! I always get compliments on my skin condition and that how plumped it looks! It's all down to my routine! 

I also apply Almond Oil to my hair once a week along with my facial routine, I sit back and relax with my favorite programs or read a book!

Happy Sunday All!

Dyno x

4 comments:

  1. great post hun, i love clarins pure radiant mask,i wanna try some boscia products and the hydraquench mask as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you apply all of your masks together or cleanse the face between the 3 masks products? I am new to mask products but would like to vamp up my skin routine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if you apply all three mask products at the same time or if you cleanse the face in between? I am new to mask products but want to vamp up my skin routine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonita, I cleanse my face first, then steam/extraction followed by the clay mask. I leave it on according to the time recommended on the packaging and then rinse it off and pat my face dry. I then apply the eye mask. Followed by the hydrating mask to my face - I let it sink into my skin but I do not wash it off I simply use a cotton soaked in toner and use this to remove any excess product. Finally followed by a treatment serum and cream. x

      Delete