Wednesday, 12 September 2012

MAC Pro Sculpting Creams, 163 Flat Contour Brush - Review, Photos's & Swatches


MAC Pro Sculpting Creams released last Thursday and I did a whole swatch post on them here, today I'm going to share my purchases with you guys of the two sculpting creams I picked up and the contour brush to go with them.

In case your wondering Pro Sculpting Creams are: "A cream-to-powder formula for sculpting and shaping key features. Silky-smooth, easy-to-blend and neutrally-shaded. Apply where extra dimension is needed, eyelids included. Provides moist, skin-soothing, natural-looking sheer-to-medium buildable coverage." - MAC.


MAC Pro Sculpting Cream in 'Coffee Walnut'
'Coffee Walnut' - is described as a 'deep dirty, cool brown'. It's a weird colour but also one of the unique colours I've come across for contouring because it doesn't have any orange/red undertones to it like your typical contour/bronzers. 

Now the lovely Specktra members have openly commented on this thing having a scary green tone to it and giving them a reminder of the no.2 thing you may find in a babys nappy/diaper. But hey I tried my best to put the thought aside and try it on. It's nice, but I have to agree it's one heck of a hard colour to work with depending on your skin tone. It requires some serious and hardcore blending but it also gives you that harsh contour. 



MAC Pro Sculpting Cream in 'Pure Sculpture'
'Pure Sculpture' - is described as a 'natural pink beige'. I don't see no pink but definitely see the orange undertone to it. This one in particular was the most natural and obvious choices for contouring. This is also one I will probably reach for more often because it blends in with my skintone really evenly without looking like I have really harsh lines.

However 'Pure Sculpture' mixed and blended out with 'Coffee Walnut is a great combination for a more precise contour, it's an obvious look you get but not a harsh one in comparison to using 'Coffee Walnut on it's own.



'Pure Sculpture' and Coffee Walnut Swatches



'Pure Sculpture' on its own first. 'Coffee Walnut' on it's own second picture. Both mixed and blended together third picture



The sculpting creams are an interesting product, usually I, like many others associate a bronzer or darker powder shade for contouring but it's really nice to have a cream based product specifically for contouring only. These don't feel or go on oily and as soon as they dry everything blends together nicely - I guess this is due to the powdery texture this dries to.

I do recommend you play around with the colours in store as some of the colours can look off balance or way too harsh, really choose the look you want to achieve and go with that - but be confident and pull it off because it will look obvious at first in comparison to your regular contouring, after all you don't want the same regular look you go for on a daily basis!


MAC 163 Flat Contouring Brush
A first proper more sharp and precise contouring brush from MAC! "An ultra-smooth brush with short, luxuriously silky, synthetic bristles and a flat wide top. Multi-purpose, multi-medium, but specifically designed to help create sharp contours with shaping/sculpting products such as Pro Sculpting Cream".

Straight up I'm impressed, if your into contouring like myself you will appreciate the use of this brush. Yes it creates harsh lines and you have to blend like hell so you don't look weird but it's really neat and the way it defines your face is like no other! I'm still getting the hang of how to use it perfectly but I'm sure with more practice I'll become a pro. It places the contour creams so brilliantly and I thought this would pick up way too much product but it doesn't. 

It's a dense brush with the bristles packed tightly together, but it's super smooth and glides really nicely on the face without pulling or scratching. A worthy investment and I think it's quite reasonably priced for a MAC brush. I highly recommend this brush!




And so if your interested in perfecting the art of contouring then this brush and sculpting creams combo is definitely one to try out. But if your a little hesitant by all means skip these products as other brushes and powders do just a great job as these. Personally for special days or events for a professional look I'm most likely to use these products but I'd prefer to stick to powder contouring on a regular basis!

Dyno x

16 comments:

  1. Great reviews Dyno, so thorough! Would you mind awfully me asking how much the contour brush retails for, as I've been hearing great things about it recently?! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hunny, thank you! No problem at all hun te brush is £26.00 xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reviews! I was actually in MAC the other day and I saw these sculpting creams. I was checking them out and wondering how they actually looked. I love the two blended on you. It looks great! The brush is definitely interesting as well. Great reviews! :)

    Rosie xo
    gorgeouslyglowingmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem hun. Thank you, yes they work much better when you combine the two and I'm so happy with my brush xx

      Delete
  3. Great blog! I really want one of the Sculpting creams but I don't know which would suit my skin tones. Love the brush too! NARS has a similar Contour brush, will have to look at what one I want to get :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think the Pro Sculpting Creams in 'Accentuate' and 'Naturally Defined' would be suitable for your skintone. I do like both the Nars and MAC brush. x

      Delete
    2. Ah brilliant, thanks for that sweet :) I'll definitely be putting them on my shopping/ birthday list xo

      Delete
  4. Just found your blog as I was looking for swatches of coffee walnut! Looks great on you!

    Nice blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was planning to buy one and can't decide which one to use, but I think I know now... Thank you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm about an NC37-NC42 depending on the time of year here in Hawaii and am dying to get my hands on Coffee Walnut and Pure Sculpture, however it's sold out online. When I visited the store the other day they had just one #163 left and I'd managed to snag it. I wish I'd thought to purchase the creams as well.

    I adore your blog and am a new follower. :)

    JC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Oh how sad I think alot of people weren't too fussed about the sculpting creams till swatches appeared online and techniques of how to use them! They are brilliant! Maybe try another store or Pro I think a couple are permanent there, maybe ebay even? good luck xx

      Delete
  7. do you think i can still get the mac pro richly honed at any of their stores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'm not to sure you will have to speak to someone at MAC

      Delete