Sunday, 23 September 2012

Current Love: MAC Paint Pot in 'Soft Ochre' - Review


Described by MAC as "A highly pigmented eye colour that goes on creamy but dries to an intense, vibrant finish. The next generation of a popular M·A·C formula, Paint Pots maintains all the intense traits of its inspiration. Long-wearing, colourfast. Creates seamless coverage without weight or caking. Blends smoothly over the lids. Cream-based, can be mixed with M·A·C shadows and liners. Available in satin, cream, frost, and pearl formulas."

One of my most used items for everyday or occasional makeup looks no matter what they are is MAC Paint Pots. It works perfectly as a primer under all shadows or as a base colour for a smokey eye look. They are available in nine permanent shades: 'Barestudy, Blackground, Constructivist, Groundwood, Indianwood, Painterly, Quite Natural, Rubenesque and Soft Ochre'. They occasionally get released in different colours as limited edition.

Paint Pots come packaged in a cute little glass jar like the MAC Studio Sculpt Concealer and Fluidlines. I've noticed there is quite a small selection of Paint Pots and alot of them are in the neutral colour category cream/beige, shimmer and brown/blacks. I find them really useful and they are very long lasting. They are mainly used to extend the wear time of your eyeshadows as a base underneath.



I so far own: Painterly, Blackground, Idyllic (discontinued) and Constructivist. About a month ago I added 'Soft Ochre' to my collection, this is described as a 'Yellow Beige'. I have started using this as base for my smokey eye looks and it really makes the different looks stand out. It's a nice colour to even out the colour on my lids. I love my paint pot in Painterly but it has a slight pink tone to it, this one is even nicer due to the yellow in it leaning like a really nice neutral against my skintone.



Product:
Soft Ochre is perfect for when you want a natural and neutral wash of colour on your lids, it works absolutely great for when you want to pair it with a black, blue, grey or brown smokey eye. The fact that it's a matte colour adds extra brownie points. 

I'll apply and blend Soft Ochre on my lid and upto my crease, smudging and blending it so there is an even wash of colour all over. Then I'll either apply just liner, or a nude, brown, black, blue or gray eyeshadow depending on the look I'm going for when doing a smokey eye and blend these in the crease to meet Soft Ochre. If I'm using Soft Ochre just as a base then I love how it brings out the colours of my regular eyeshadows. 

Use:
The best thing though is paint pots are a versatile product, some of the lighter shades such as Bare Study, Soft Ochre can be worn alone for a wash of matte or shimmer colour, the darker shades like Constructivist can also be worn alone on the lid as cream shadows, or as liner, but I find their best uses as base colours for powder eyeshadow and MAC pigments. They even help my shadows stay in place longer.

Application:
I sometimes apply paint pots with a synthetic eye brush such as MAC 242 shader brush but I actually prefer using my fingers because a decent amount of product can be picked up and it warms up the product making it easier and smoother to apply and blend on the lids.

Wear Time:
They help my shadows last longer and I can easily get through a 10-12 hour day without any creasing or fading. The little jar will last for ages I am yet to finish any one of them and I am nowhere near and that's with almost 4-5 times a week of use, As long as I keep the lid on it tight it shouldn't dry out and will last alot longer!



Above is a look I wore on Friday night with MAC Paint Pot 'Soft Ochre'

Dyno x

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I've been wanting to try Soft Ochre. I currently own Bare Study and use it EVERYDAY underneath my regular eyeshadow because it gives it better color. The paint pots work better for me as a eyeshadow primer because I have oily eyelids. Regular primer just makes the shadow slide right off. Anyways enough rambling on lol you should definitely try Bare Study too. It's gorgeous!

    Rosie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rosie - Thank you next on my list is Bare Study! I don't mind rambling it's fun to get to know what others like! It's great to hear paint pots work for you too! xxx

      Delete
  2. That's a great review! x

    P.S. If you have a second, I would like to invite you to take part in a giveaway I am hosting on my blog - feel free to take part if you like the prize! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the review. i love mac paintpots! this one is on my wishlist lol. ps i love your makeup !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You welcome and thank you, this is a lovely paint pot! you must get it! xx

      Delete