Monday, 16 April 2012

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in 'Syracuse' - Review


"The Immaculate Complexion: NARS reinvents foundation with modern formulations designed to enhance your natural complexion without masking it. This sheer weightless formula glides on effortlessly, blurring imperfections and evening skin tone for the ultimate sophisticated finish that allows your skin’s natural beauty to shine through. NARS’ exclusive complexion brightening formula evens and illuminates skin for an immaculate glow. Can be layered to achieve your desired coverage and finish. A glowing, satin-finish foundation with sheer and build-able coverage. Replete with skincare benefits and the NARS Complexion Brightening Formula, skin is hydrated, more luminous, softer and smoother. 

Sheer Glow’s silky fluid delivers immediate hydration, evens skin tone and leaves the skin brighter and more radiant. Used daily, Sheer Glow Foundation improves skin brightness, radiance and texture. Your skin’s texture improves over time, becoming softer, smoother and more luminous. Sheer Glow Foundation provides weightless and buildable coverage, with a natural radiant finish. For normal to dry skin types. Dermatologist tested. Non-comedogenic. Fragrance free."

NARS Claims that Sheer Glow:
  • Minimizes visible discolouration
  • Brightens and clarifies overall skin tone
  • Improves skin luminosity and radiance
  • Hydrates for softer and smoother skin

I picked up the shade in 'Syracuse - Medium Dark 1' which is a medium dark with brown undertone. I have been matched with MAC foundations as a NC42, Chanel Beige 60 and Dior Honey Beige, MUFE Mat Velvet 60 Honey Beige, MUFE HD 153 Golden Honey. 'Syracuse' is a perfect match to my skintone.


Directions for use: I start by warming the foundation on the back of my hands Then, working with a stippling brush, I apply a small amount of foundation in the center of the face and begin pressing the foundation on to the skin, I stipple it all over and then using a beauty blender I pat/buff in the foundation.

Experience: I've been using this for about 3-4 years now so I think I can give this foundation a proper, honest and reliable review! I haven't waited this long particularly to review it because I have only started blogging for 3 months! But am adding it to my blog now! I get asked quite alot what foundation I am wearing? or get told how amazing and flawless my makeup/skin looks. If I'm honest I take care of my skin and am confident to go out bare au naturel, but having a good base/canvas skin means my foundation goes on even more amazing. 

Nars Sheer Glow is the kind of foundation that makes your skin look luminous and it's literally like a second skin. My skin looks like its glowing without looking oily, it has a satin-finish and I really like that I can build up my look, some days I wear it light, some days medium and I can even get full coverage. The consistency is a liquid and this melts onto the skin as soon as it makes contact. 

Application: There are multiple ways to apply this foundation, some people prefer using their hands, me personally I use a stippling brush like a Ecotools Kabuki Brush or MAC 187 Duo Fibre Brush. As long as the product warms up against the skin before applying to the face using fingers or a brush still lets the product melt onto my skin the same and instantly. The other good thing is I don't have to work hard with the product as it smooths perfectly onto my skin.

When I wear this foundation as a full coverage I do use a setting powder, as it can look a little odd with layers of it so it needs a powder to settle the heavy 'glowwyness', with a light to medium coverage there is no need to use a powder, this is optional. I even really like that with a light application my natural skin shines through and has never looked better, I always look and feel fresh with this foundation on. My complexion is evened out plus in terms of face tone I find my face looks even in texture, even small pores appear less visibe. During and after use, my skin looks and feels incredibly smooth. My face looks dewy/glowy, not greasy or matte. It's the perfect satin finish.


Pro's:
Perfect colour match
Natural, radiant/luminous satin finish (slightly dewy finish if I applied moisturizer).
Build-able coverage from Light, Medium to Full.
Liquid - creamy texture, making it easy to apply and blend, melts into skin.
Long-lasting (from morning till night time - 12 hours!).
Doesn't look heavy/cakey, gives me natural flawless look.
Doesn't break me out!.
Photographs well (no white cast) natural skin look.

Con's:
Needs a powder to set with full coverage as it can look slightly oily rather than dewy due to heavier application of foundation.
Comes with a screw top lid and no pump - You have to purchase a foundation pump from Nars.
Some people may find this Pricey!

(Light application, NOTE: My arm is fairer in colour than my face, otherwise 'Syracuse' is a perfect match)

Overall: For me the price of this foundation is ok, it's the same price as a Dior/MUFE/ foundation but less expensive than a Chanel foundation. A little more expensive than MAC, I don't really use MAC foundations as one of their foundations broke me out years ago so I never went back. So for me the price doesn't really make a difference. But lets be honest if something is a Holy Grail product I will continue to purchase it no matter what! In my honest opinion this foundation is suitable for normal to dry skin, oily skin types may benefit from using Sheer Matte instead.

I have been using it for 3-4 years and the truth is I can always try out other foundations but I will always go back to my Nars Sheer Glow. There are alot of mixed reviews on it, but the best example I can give is when I use to use my Dior Nude or MUFE foundations I use to think they felt light and fluffy on my skin but even today I remember testing this out in a store for the first time and I fell in love, so did a few women standing at the counter with me. Nars Sheer Glow has never let me down it honestly looks and feels beautiful and you know your wearing the right foundation when people compliment your skin makeup each time you step outside and this is what I experience.

(Light Application without any powder)

(Medium-Full Coverage application with a setting powder on the T-zone)

I really really enjoy wearing this foundation, it is a must have for me. Although I like to try new items but I will always keep this foundation as a back up no matter what. I do recommend it and it does suit wintry and summery climates. It definitely lives up to the claims Nars makes about Sheer Glow, I love it!

Available at all Nars Counters and Online in the UK and US. £29.50 and $42.00.

Love NARS!


Dyno x

2 comments:

  1. next time i'm in Sephora I'm going to get myself a sample... you make it sound so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lucy Oh lovely, I hope you enjoy using it too! Let me know how you get on with it! xx

    ReplyDelete