Thursday, 29 March 2012

Real Techniques Powder, Blush and Stipple Brushes


"Designed with pro makeup artist Samantha Chapman, Real Techniques brushes combine high-tech materials with innovative design to make creating a pixel-perfect look easier than ever."

THE LINE:
Taklon bristles for smooth, flawless, high-definition results like a pro.
Colour-Coded system corresponding to key steps of makeup - flawless base, enhanced eyes, perfect finish.
Hand-cut to the perfect shape for precise application.
Suitable for a wide-range of products and makeup needs.

PRODUCT DETAILS:
Ultra-plush, synthetic taklon bristles are hand-cut and 100% cruelty-free
Extended aluminum ferrules/handle is light and easy to use with quick reference brush names
Self-standing bases for easy storage or counter-top display


So words been going around for quite some time now about these brushes and curious as I always am I too had to get my paws on these babies and finally I did. I picked up the Powder, Blush and Stipple Brushes, I didn't really require the sets and I love my MAC eye brushes too much to use something else! But I was really interested in these three so picked them up. 

What's really unique about them is their design, You could say they are professional but when you say professional I always think of MAC or Bobbi Brown brushes and in comparison these are quite different. But for highstreet/drugstore quality they are very nice and much more higher end looking in comparison to what you might find on the shelves usually. 

Some people have mentioned that most brushes have a tapered tip, I don't really think this is the case (I did check out all of them in store out of interest) The only tapered tip you will find is with the blush brush and pointed foundation brush from the core set, the powder brush is quite big and fluffy so it's not tapered, the stipple brush is short and dainty and pretty straight across on top, the starter set however contains your typical eye brushes slightly curved on top and these are something designed like any other brushes you would use to apply your eye makeup.

I'm going to review these brushes individually using three categories:
1. Brush Construction
2. Bristles
3. Application
Plus My Final Verdict

Powder Brush


The brush is solid, it's lightweight to hold which makes it easy to glide over the face and the handle has a decent enough size to get a good grip onto it. The size of the brush is also a contributor in the overall weight, making the head of this powder brush sturdy, this brush has to be the biggest of the Real Techniques brushes and for a powder brush in comparison to some others on the market such as MAC and Ecotools this is huge. On my face which is small I literally go around and then down the t-zone and I'm done.

The bristles are taklon; a synthetic fibre that is far superior to animal hair in makeup brushes, plus much more hygienic than animal hair brushes! These in terms of feel are very very soft and gorgeous to touch. I have to put my hands up and say this is one of the most fluffiest and softest powder brush I have ever come across, the bristles are densely packed together but the fluffyness creates a slightly looser feeling when using the brush on the skin.

The application is interesting, the domed head and not to forget huge size of the head goes right around the face quickly without any problems but it doesn't pick up a great deal of powder, which can be a good or bad thing, it's even in application for sure and any product applied with this brush is distributed well, I rarely notice the layer of powder on my skin but I know it's being applied because it tends to take the shine away from foundations when you're applying powders with it.

My verdict - I'm going to be honest, there is a lack of product being picked up which means to get fuller coverage you have to go over your make up a couple of times before your face begins to look fuller and then feels dry from so much powder being applied and then it gets harder to buff it in. I expect my one application to set my powder well and full without looking cakey - I can do this with my normal routine, I didn't get it with this brush. Usually I can use a bit of concealer and setting powder and I don't find any fading, but I noticed that after using this powder brush to apply my powder it fades quite quickly meaning the application wasn't strong enough from before. 

The brush without a doubt is three things you expect it to be: big, fluffy and soft, when it comes to application this powder brush is 'ok' only if you want a natural look all the time, or are in a rush and just want a quick fix. If like me you take time and care to apply your makeup and achieving good looking results with efficiency, or for nights out/occasions you want a heavier and glamorous look or just simply that you made an effort with your makeup, this is not the brush. I don't feel I got a flawless and high definition finish, I looked dull and I preferred my normal routine brushes for my powder setting where I noticed a difference to my makeup when I switched back. 

With this powder brush It's harder to pick up product from pressed powders, very easy and quick work with loose powders, dangerous with bronzers - my bronzer literally got slapped onto my face and my skin colour looked so different, it wasn't right I redid my makeup because it was just too much, the softness and fluffyness of this powder brush makes it in my opinion unsuitable to apply bronzer all over as it picks up bronzer/colour alot (sometimes you need a warmer shade all over) and lets face it the colour of bronzer is deeper than say your setting powder which is always either translucent or matched to your skin tone. 

The powder brush is by no way bad and I'm not dismissing it, in my preference I just feel it didn't meet the expectations I have when I apply makeup which I am taking my time on to look like I've made an effort. For a natural in a rush/everyday look by all means I would use this brush but carefully and only with my loose powders to feel like I have a bit of coverage. I most definitely would not use it for bronzer which then doesn't make this brush multi-functional if I'm on the go, I'd have to stick to incorporating my kabuki brushes and buffing in! 




Blush Brush


The brush is also solid, it's lightweight to hold which makes it easy to glide around the face and the handle has a decent enough size to get a good grip onto it. This has a lovely tapered shape to it - functioning for contouring and blush application. It has a cute egg shape and I don't own anything like it! The brush deposits just the right amount of blush product on the cheeks and the fluffiness and softness of the brush diffuses the colour neatly so there are no harsh appearance and edges of blush.

The bristles are taklon; a synthetic fibre that is far superior to animal hair in makeup brushes, plus much more hygienic than animal hair brushes! These in terms of feel are very very soft and gorgeous to touch. I have to put my hands up and say this is one of the most fluffiest and softest blush brush I have ever come across, the bristles are densely packed together but the fluffyness creates a slightly looser feeling when using the brush on the skin. There is absolutely no scratchyness to this blush brush.

The application is really good, it's even, light and the blush brush allows product to be built up. I have used it to apply powder and cream blushes, alongside bronzer as a contour and appreciate the transfer of colour and easy, smooth and brilliant application. 

My Verdict - I love this blush brush! I was on the look out to buy a new blush brush and the shape and uniqueness plus multi-function of this brush makes it a winner in my eyes. It's versatile so I can use it with powders and cream product plus it works so well specifically with bronzer as it gives such a natural finish around the contours of the face.

 It doesn't shed so I'm really enjoying using it with my Soleil Tan de Chanel bronzer plus my cream blush. With this blush brush I most definitely got what I was looking for and expecting my brush to do, I will be picking up one or two more of this blush brush so I can have one each for my pink, natural and coral toned blushes. This is a lovely and unique brush and I highly recommend it for multi-functional uses! 

 


Stippling Brush


The brush is also solid, it's lightweight to hold which makes it easy to glide around the face and the handle has a decent enough size to get a good grip onto it. In comparison to the other two brushes this is even lighter to hold due to the smaller head of the stipple. This is a dual-fibre brush so the tip of it is different to the root hence forming a 'stipple'/'prickle' end to the brush, no it doesn't hurt! It's just a technique description! This stippling brush can be compared to MAC's 130 (closest), shorter and smaller than MAC 187 and round and shorter than MAC 188 - all three are stippling brushes.

The bristles are taklon; a synthetic fibre that is far superior to animal hair in makeup brushes, plus much more hygienic than animal hair brushes! These in terms of feel are very very soft and gorgeous to touch. This stipple brush in my opinion maintains the same quality as MAC so it's not the only softest and fluffiest stippling brush I own but it's just as nice. The bristles are dense but not dense enough to give you say enough good coverage with your foundation, quite light and natural as a on the go look in my opinion.

The application is good, I'd say it's more light to medium coverage. As this is a so called dupe for MAC's 130 short duo fibre brush I don't own it but I think in comparison they would perform pretty close and get into the crevices of the face due to it's size. It applies product nicely and evenly and I think that's due to the nature of the bristles, I enjoy using the brush under my eye area and nose to get foundation buffed in more easily. I also used it to apply highlighter and it picks up product lightly and applies it very evenly giving a beautiful sheen to the skin. 

My Verdict - Again I'll be honest, this is great as an extra edition to your makeup routine when applying foundation for around the nose and under eye - basically the areas where its hard to get foundation to blend. But it takes ages to apply foundation with this brush all over the face because it's quite small, I also wasn't getting fuller coverage but a lighter one, So I will be sticking to my MAC 187 or Ecotools Kabuki brush which get the job done very quickly, evenly and with better coverage. 

I'll simply be using this to finish off around my nose and under eye area. This brush however is quite versatile and can be used to apply cream and powder blush or even bronzer as it's small size allows colour to be applied precisely to your cheek area. But I absolutely love it to apply highlighter, it's the perfect size for above my cheeks and applies product well enough for a healthy glow! So I'll be picking up another so I have one to keep for small areas on my face to use with foundation and one for highlighters. 


Overall...

I really like the blush brush, enjoy the stippling brush and feel ok about the powder brush. If your after a new powder brush for very light coverage I would pick this up it is nice for on the go. If you need a new blush brush I'd also definitely give this one a go as you won't be disappointed. The stippling brush is optional, if you don't own a MAC 130, 187 or 188 give this a try before you splurge the money on MAC.

 I think for the price I got these brushes for they are a nice bargain (I got mine on 3 for 2 at Boots) and I got what I paid for in the end. They are different and unique brushes in their own way and it comes down to your own personal preference and needs for makeup, as things work differently for every individual! Has anyone else got these brushes, how did you get on?

Interesting Techniques!

Dyno x

No comments:

Post a Comment