Wednesday, 21 March 2012

MAC Cremeblend Blush in Optimistic Orange


MAC Optimistic Orange Cremeblend Blush was released as a repromote as part of MAC's 'Shop MAC Cook MAC' collection earlier this month. As you may know I went totally crazy shopping for this collection (see here). I went back twice for more items and one of them being this blush. 

Optimistic Orange is a seriously bright and vibrant tangerine orange, it is a cool toned orange with a slight pink - coral undertone. On my NC42 tan/olive skin tone it's a true coral orange and not a plain orange. The pink undertone really flatters my cheeks and applied lightly it comes up a peachy/pink shade.


Applied to the skin the blush can be light/sheer to heavy/layered to give off brilliant pigmentation. A little goes a long way with this blush, the colour payoff is very intense. I found the best way to apply this blush is with a duo-fiber brush, I use MAC's 187- basically a stippling brush.

I lightly swirl the tips of the brush into the product and stipple/dab the blush onto my cheeks very lightly and then blend in small circular motions. Because of my skintone I found I didn't have to take off any excess product from the brush and could apply it direct from the pan.

But if you find you have too much colour going onto your cheeks then you can easily dab  it on the back of your hand to lighten the colour before applying. For a daytime look I will go over the cheek area with a kabuki brush to blend the colour out evenly with a little setting powder, and for the evening I just simply use a kabuki to buff it in so it looks neat.

(Above - Daylight Swatch, Below - Evening light)

MAC describe their Cremeblend blushes as "A blush that manages to make a simple blush state-of-the-art. Creamy, easy to blend medium coverage formula imparts a natural finish that's smooth, dewy-fresh, long-lasting."

This is actually my first MAC Cremeblend blush and I'm really intrigued that it isn't sticky or oily and has a very light dewy to matte finish. The dewyness disappears ever so slightly and you have a ordinary blush feeling that isn't heavy on the skin.

The blush felt very comfortable on the skin, was easy to work with and lasted for several hours. I took the photos at the end of the day after 7 hours wear and it still looks really fresh! (I have normal skin and I have read that the application may differ for different skin types - but it will suit all coloured skin tones for sure!).


Definitely use a synthetic brush to apply this creme blush as it picks up product lightly and easily, a denser brush would just pack on product so you would lose the control of colour application. Optimistic Orange is a beautiful spring summery shade and looks lovely worn alone.

However I like to use highlighters with my makeup looks and so I liked using a champagne and golden bright yellow highlight to give it a more brighter yellow tinge, this really warms up my skintone and pulls the blush and makeup together! 

An interesting thing about this blush is that you can use powder blushes over the creme formulas to help extend the wear of your blush throughout the day. Adding a different colour powder brush also allows you to create a shade of your own on your cheeks! 

Above however I am wearing the blush on it's own with a highlighter, the left picture being a heavier build up of colour and the right picture - the blush is a lighter application and buffed in. It is a true coral with a hint of pink and I absolutely love it!


If like me at first you were frightened by the look of this blush in the pan then seriously don't be! The blush is lovely and pigmented and the fact that you have control over application and can layer it as you like without looking like a clown is just awesome! This colour of blush is truely amazing and unique!

I firstly cannot believe I haven't tried any other MAC Cremeblend blushes but I'm so tempted to grab a few in different colours! This colour is just perfect and I'm so glad it's in my collection as I have nothing like it, Nars blush in 'Taj Mahal' cannot be compared at all! Has anyone else tried cremeblend blushes by MAC?

Love Cremeblend Blush...Love MAC!

Dyno x

2 comments:

  1. That looks so pretty on you! I would be so afraid to wear that orange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @adthenshesmiled Thank you! Oh dont be afraid it's really lovely! So brilliant to work with! I'm gonna buy some more cremeblend blushes! x

    ReplyDelete